Date 04 April 2010
Woolworths has introduced a Halaal Certified gelatine in the following yoghurt variants:
- 1 Kg Low Fat Smooth Strawberry Flavoured Yoghurt
- 1 Kg Low Fat Smooth Vanilla Flavoured Yoghurt
- 1 Kg Low Fat Smooth Summer Fruit Flavoured Yoghurt
- 6 x 100 g Low Fat Smooth Strawberry, Pear, Summer Fruit Flavoured Yoghurts
- 6 x 100 g Low Fat Smooth Strawberry Flavoured Yoghurt
- 6 x 100 g Low Fat Smooth Strawberry, Vanilla, Banana Flavoured Yoghurts
- 6 x 100 g Low Fat Smooth Mango, Cherry, Granadilla Flavoured Yoghurts
Whilst there is a difference of opinion amongst Ulama regarding gelatin, the gelatin in question is certified Halaal based on the opinion and fataawa of majority of Mufti’s including Mufti A.K. Hoosen (Channel Islam), Mufti Afzal Elias (Jamiat), Mufti Radaaul-Haq (Darul Uloom Zakariyya), Mufti Qassim Seema (Darul Uloom Newcastle), Mufti Akbar Hazarvi (Darul Uloom Pretoria), Mufti Taqi Usmani (Pakistan), Mufti Burhanuddien (Nadwatul Ulama India), Sheik Hawari (Lecturer Damascus University) as well as Prof. (Dr’s) Loonat, Bhika.
Muslim Consumers can be rest assured that the yoghurts certified by the NIHT is fit for Muslim Consumption. Please refer to the labels for more information.